Skip to main content

RPG experiences as a player instead of a GM

So with my new project and our current adventures, I'm currently the main GM for the group of players I have. It's a small group, only 3 of us including myself. But we have played together for a long time so the adventures are usually pretty full even with only a couple of players. Since we play as a small group the GM usually has a Character in the group as well, this allows for some extra firepower as well as if we ever want to rotate GM's we don't have to introduce a new char. Anyway, we got to a point in our adventure in which my Char ( a Kobold Wizard, 3rd level ) was separated from the party. Now playing in character my little wizard has an obsession with magic, and we were at the time inside an Elvin palace, so I decided the little guy would take this time to go out and find some magic ( hopefully a scroll or two to pick up some new spells ). So I talked to one of our players who has done some GM'ing in the past and asked him if he wanted to GM this section for me. Not to mention it would ramp him up on the GM tools I had created in my project, and see how someone else feels they work. So I load up my Char sheet and think to myself "wow, it's so much easier when your just worrying about this one sheet!". Anyway the GM starts and has me running away from some guards. I have only heard them but have not seen them yet. I end up running into a room that I had detected some magic from, and headed towards the source of the strongest magic I could feel. It was a small statue of a wolf sitting on a shelf. Now as a player and GM I knew exactly what this was, but being true to the game, I rolled my Magic Lore skill and epic failed it. So I think, hell yeah I just scored me a magic statue so I pick it up. So it grows into a huge hulking Wolf! So we roll init and I get the first go. I cast up my magic armor and prepare to parry with my trusty dagger. The first couple of rounds totally go my way. I do notice though that my spells only seem to be doing 1/2 damage. So I decide to play it smart and I cast telekinesis and start raining down furniture on the head of this thing. Using heavy object causing lots of damage. At this point I'm thinking to myself "yeah bitch suck it! No 1/2 strength crap is gonna slow me down!" at this point things start to go down hill. The GM feels that I am walking through this fight because the wolf has only hit my armor and not really caused any damage to me yet, so he decides that the chair I've been using to smash this wolf breaks, so I look for another chair ( after all the room was described as a waiting room filled with chairs and couches). I try another chair but now all the rest of the chairs are cheap knock offs and cause little damage, and break after one hit. Not to mention the wolf wises up and destroys the rest of the furniture, leaving me with nothing to attack him with except my dagger or my 1/2 power magic. At this point my roles start to go a little south, and I notice my PPE ( magic power ) starts dwindling. So I start switching from Magic power to my dagger, and now the real dilemma starts to show. See I'm a tride and true wizard with no real combat skills so I have a whopping +1 to my strike rolls with my dagger, and it only does 1d6 points of damage. Add that in with my low rolls and if I hit the damn thing I was only doing 1-3 points of damage :( ( for the record after the encounter I found that it had 80 HP and 80 SDC. so I had to deal 160 damage to this thing! So then the wolf actually gets past my magical armor and hits me, knocking all of my SDC and most of my hit points off. Now the GM sees the real issue here. See this guy is usually a fighter, and so he is used to taking hits and shrugging them off. He didn't realize that if I EVER get hit, it pretty much prepares me for death, after all I'm a wizard I can't take a real hit! So now the GM starts scrambling. I don't have enough magic energy to cast a spell, my magic armor fades away ( damn 1/2 duration! ) and I only have about 10 HP left. Basically 1 hit and I'm a dead man ( er kobold ). So the GM has me roll Lore Magic and I finally get it ( took about 3 tries! ) and I notice a magic crystal that seems to be draining my powers. I run over there and smash it, this frees up my spell strength issue and give me back 80 PPE. So I quickly summon my magic armor back and proceed to slam into this thing over and over with my magic bolts, finally bringing it down. However at the end of the encounter I am left with 2 PPE ( so no magic for me ) and back down to 20 HP and no SDC. We stopped playing after that because we ran out of time, but it was funny talking about it later, as the GM learned that Magic users are pretty powerful, but they do have weaknesses too, so if you take away the only power they really have, they are just bait :)

So anyway I had a really good time playing, and I think it was a good experience all the way around. I just hope next time, I don't have to use everything I got just to get past 1 silly statue ( or at least roll my magic lore skill before I pick the damn thing up! )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Ram-Man got my son into RPGs.

This is a story about Ram-Man, and more importantly how he got my son to play RPGs with me they way they are meant to be played. First a little background: My son loves rolling dice, so he has been "playing" RPGs with me for a good 6-7 months now. Although at the tender age of 3 1/2 he is far from being an avid role player. Anyway, he enjoyed rolling the dice, and basically playing out combat. It worked out really well for me, as I got into Savage Worlds around this time, and he was my always available player to test out game mechanics that were new and unfamiliar to me; I'm looking at you Mass Battles, Chases, Raises and Toughness. So while he helped me do this, and we even managed to create him a Character and introduce him into a little makeshift gaming group comprised of mostly newbies ( my little sister, my 12 year old Daughter, my Son and my old buddy through skype ), he never really got into anything other than rolling the dice, and uttering things such as &qu

New Players!

So I just got a couple more players interested in trying out our Lunch time Power session RPG experiment! It will be interesting for a few reasons: 1) they are my sisters 2) One has some limited RPG exp back about 10 years ago 3) the other has NO RPG exp at all. That being said, I think the first couple of session will need to be in person so we can work through how to use our web based system, and just get the feel of how to play the game in general. With that being the case, instead of rolling them into our current game, I think I will start them in a new game, and ramp them up a bit slower. Once they get ramped up, I will then roll them into the main game. I think this will be really cool, as both of them will bring some very different perspective to the way the rest of my group has been playing. So we shall see....

Am I the only person out there that likes GHWT better than Rock Band 2?

So I guess the first thing I should say is: I only own a wii ( no XBox360 or PS3 ). And having 2 kids and a wife means my gaming time is not all that much. So for XMAS we got GHWT the full band kit and RB2 the game only ( since the instruments from GHWT work with RB2 no issues ). So right out of the box we fired up GHWT with the family and had a great time. We threw in the cheat code to unlock all the songs so we could choose from a bigger selection in quickplay and it was a blast. So after about 2 weeks straight of GHWT goodness, my daughter and I decide we should throw in RB2 and see what it takes. After all, according to everyone on the net, GHWT instruments are better but RB2 the game is WAY better! ( so they say ). I mean this is exactly why we bought it in the setup we did. Anyway we popped in RB2, threw in the unlock code so we could try out our favorite songs. It seemed to have a more eclectic taste than GHWT, and a couple of the song selections I actually preferred RB